- 1 whole egg, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon of whey
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- In food processor or blender, blend first four ingredients until smooth.
- With motor running, slowly pour oil into egg mixture.
- Add whey and mix until blended.
- Season mayonnaise to your preference.
- Cover tightly and leave out on counter for 7 hours before refrigerating.
- Mayonnaise will keep several months in refrigerator.
This makes for a very thick mayonnaise! You will want to leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes before using. You may also use refined coconut oil if you don’t like the sweet taste of virgin coconut oil.
If you prefer not to use whey, you may leave it out of recipe and refrigerate mayonnaise immediately (mayonnaise will only keep for a week without whey).
The addition of whey will help your mayonnaise to last longer, add enzymes, and increase nutrient content of mayonnaise.
Recipe from Coconut Mama